Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Shepherd’s Pie– With Cauliflower Mash

I found this recipe and just tweaked it a little so that it would make enough to feed a very hungry family.

I also cheated a bit from the original recipe.

I’ll admit it… I used frozen mashed cauliflower.  The truth is… you probably will too.

This is low carb, but I did add one carrot as I think this recipe needs the carrot  not only for flavor but color.

shepherds pie 1

Ingredients

2 tbsp Olive Oil

2-3 large cloves minced garlic

1 large onion, finely chopped

1 large carrot, chopped

2 stalks celery, chopped

1 cup fresh mushrooms, diced

2 lbs lean ground beef

1/2 tsp sea salt

2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

3/4 cup beef broth

1 tsp soy sauce

1/4 cup tomato paste

1 tsp parsley

For the cauliflower

1 box frozen mashed cauliflower (if you choose to go this route)

1 cup mozzarella

2 Tbsp parmesan  or romano grated cheese

Paprika

shepherds pie 2

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350

Heat oil in pan.  Add garlic, onion and carrots and celery and cook on medium heat until softened. About 2-3 minutes. Add fresh mushrooms and cook for one additional minute. Add ground beef.  Cook until just starting to brown.  Add salt, Worcestershire, broth, soy sauce, tomato paste and parsley to the mixture. Simmer over medium heat for about 15 minutes until cooked through and some of the juice has cooked off (so its not runny).   Taste.  If you want more flavor add more Worcestershire sauce and a couple more shakes of soy sauce. 

Now here is where I would tell you to make your mashed cauliflower, and if you want to do that from cauliflower then I salute you!   For me, frozen mashed cauliflower was just perfect.   I followed the directions on the box and let it sit for a bit until it had slightly cooled and thickened.

Once the mashed cauliflower is ready, add the mozzarella and parmesan cheese.

I used a 9” loaf pan, but you can certainly use a casserole dish.  Place your beef mixture in your loaf pan or dish.  Add the mashed cauliflower to the top.  I smoothed it down then ran a fork over it for texture.  Sprinkle with paprika.

Place your baking dish on top of a cookie sheet in case it bubbles over in the oven.

Bake for 45 minutes unit the top is bubbling and turning brown.  I broiled it for about a minute or so at the end.

Let stand for 10 minutes.  Serve!

shepherds pie 3

1 comment: