Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Best Low Carb Pizza Crust–Lupin Flour

I’ve been searching for a better low carb pizza crust for a long time.
This Lupin Flour crust is a version of the Fat Head Pizza Crust.  In my opinion it’s better.  Lupin flour does not have the distinctive tastes that coconut flour and almond flours add to your recipe.
This recipe makes a personal size pizza.  I put mine on a cookie sheet and I would say it spread to about 8” x 10”.  And um, yes, that's personal size to me.
Best of all, this pizza crust stood up to the finger tip challenge!
Lupin Flour Pizza Crust 1a
Ingredients
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1 egg, beaten
1/8 teaspoon, salt
4 tablespoons Lupin Flour
coconut flour for dusting
Lupin Flour Pizza Crust 2a
Lupin Flour Pizza Crust 3a
Lupin Flour Pizza Crust 4a
Preparation:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 400 F
  2. Lightly beat egg with a fork, stir in salt and set aside.
  3. Add shredded mozzarella  to a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute or until it has somewhat melted. Stir and microwave for an additional 10-15 seconds until completely melted.
  4. Cool the cheese down a bit, then add beaten egg, stirring until combined.
  5. Add lupin flour and mix well, using a fork.  It will be sticky and thicken to the point where you can knead it by hand until you have a soft dough-like consistency (dust your hands with a little coconut flour if too sticky).
  6. Pace the dough over a sheet of parchment paper, flatten it a little with the palm of your hand, and start pressing it from the centre to the outer edge with flat finger tips and palms, as you rotate it; shape it according to your baking tray. Use coconut flour on your hands to keep it from sticking.  Do NOT overuse coconut flour or it will quickly become still and dry.
  7. Flatten the dough a bit more with the palms of your hands so it is very thin, and an even thickness Poke the whole surface with a fork. (Don’t skip the poking part)
  8. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
  9. Remove from oven and allow to cool before adding tomato sauce and toppings of your choice.
  10. Bake again for about 5-8 minutes before serving.  I give mine a little last minute zap under the broiler for one minute.
    Lupin Flour Pizza Crust 5a
Author and Creator of this recipe says: Always put cold tomato sauce over a cold pizza base, otherwise you'll end up with a soggy base.
And I totally agree with her.
Recipe From: www.queenketo.com
NUTRITIONAL INFO:
Ingredients: Dehulled lupin bean
Nutrition Facts 1/4 cup (30 g): Calories 74, Total Fat 2 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 9 mg, Carbohydrate 12 g, Fiber 11 g, Sugar 1 g, Protein 12 g

5 comments:

  1. will must try this.. by the way if you are travelling to Seal Beach, then you must try A Slice of New York Pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added a little yeast for flavor and dusted the dough with grated Parmesan cheese instead of coconut flour. The Parmesan worked well. Thank you for posting this recipe. It’s the only one I use now. Very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used this crust recipe for making a shrimp alfredo pizza today. It was very good. The dough was difficult to work with. I was afraid of adding too much extra lupini flour. Next time I will go ahead and add more until it's easier to work with. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I've been trying to cut down on the amount of almond flour I consume, and lupini recipes are much harder to find than recipes using coconut or almond flour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe. I could not get the cheese to easily combine with the egg, so I mixed them in the food processor. Once I added the Lupin flour, the dough never really came together, so it ended up being a paste. I used a rubber spatula to spread the paste/dough on parchment paper. The pizza crust actually turned out pretty nice despite my issues! I think I’ll try this again, but maybe add a small amount more flour or even some vital wheat gluten.

    ReplyDelete